Your vehicle will require its first MOT test when it is three years old from the date of registration, and it will need to be retested every year before the expiry of the current MOT. You'll receive an MOT test certificate with the date of the test and the expiry date, so you'll know when the vehicle needs a new MOT. You can retest the car up to a month before it expires and maintain the original renewal date if you like. It is essential to know the MOT routine procedures at the MOT testing centre.
Many vehicles fail an MOT due to minor faults which can be avoidable before commencing the test. You'd be amazed what may cause an MOT to fail, and some issues are trivial. To ensure that your vehicle is in the best possible condition, create an MOT checklist a few weeks before the inspection date. It will allow you to address any concerns ahead of time and prevent any uncomfortable situations if the vehicle fails the test. As a driver or vehicle owner, there are a few things you can do to improve your vehicle's chances of passing its MOT.
• Maintain the cleanliness of your vehicle both inside and out. An MOT Tester may refuse to perform an MOT if the boot is cluttered and the car is exceptionally filthy.
• Your car's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) in the V5C logbook should match the VIN on the bodywork.
• Check all lights, windscreen wipers, horns and doors are in working order.
• Clean the number plates because they must be readable to pass the MOT.
• Check the check tyre tread. The minimum legal tyre tread depth of the cars is 1.6 MM, but MOT testers recommend a tread depth of 3 MM. Alternatively, you can use a tyre tread gauge to check the depth.
• Refill all fluids like screenwash, brake fluid, and oil to the recommended levels.
In the MOT training centre, MOT tester students will learn the comprehensive MOT testing guide both theoretically and shadow the MOT inspection with supervision.
The MOT Check procedure begins with the MOT Tester seated in the driver's seat to check the seat adjustment and the different positions of the locks. Check all functional components, including the nearside mirror if required, the passenger door from the inside, and dashboard warning lights. Check all door mirrors, condition of the airbags, security of the rearview mirror and the parking lights. Also, the examiner will assess the driver’s view of the road, parking brake, lights including rear and front fog lights and steering wheel.
The exterior inspection starts with the security of the bumper, number plate, and the readability of the registration number. There are many vital components of this phase of testing routine
• A vehicle identification number (VIN) and registration plates
• Vehicle structure and structural integrity
• Vehicle's overall condition
• Fluids for braking and steering
• Power-assisted steering
• Hydraulic, air and vacuum brake systems
• Fluids for braking and steering, including fuel system
• Mounts for the engine and gearbox
This test applies to all petrol (spark ignition) engined automobiles, taxis, minibuses, and ambulances with up to 12 passenger seats, as well as other vehicles with a gross design weight of up to and including 3,500 kilograms.
The smoke density of all diesel-powered heavy freight trucks and buses is measured. It's done with the use of a certified and calibrated smoke metre.
European style headlights, which are tested for the aim on the dip beam, are the most frequent type of headlamps installed on cars. During the check, the beam pattern is hazy and lacks a definite cut-off point, and the 'kick-up of the beam is to the offside, so the headlamp dips to the right may result in an MOT fail.
During the test, evidence of brake grabbing, the service braking efficiency is less than 50% or parking brake less than 16% may result in the MOT failure.
This stage is critical for inspecting the steering system, electricals, wheels and hubs, oil leaks, mechanical braking components, and the vehicle's overall condition, which should be free of corrosion.
The MOT Tester will offer you an MOT certificate if your car passes the MOT test. MOT Advisories that will not significantly impact road safety and roadworthiness may be listed on the MOT certificate. It will help you to solve these flaws sooner rather than later, preventing them from becoming more significant issues.
As an MOT training academy, we will offer professional support in getting certified as an MOT tester.